Artikel Terbaru

4 September 2013

Short Story: BED OF REVELATIONS

“Now, now, Belanca, don’t tell me that you still can’t get enough of Modise, when he is always following you around like a shadow” sharply came the voice of Dineo as she helped me to put my calabash full of water on top of my head.

 “Well, I didn’t mean to sound like a pounding child, but hey a girl has to miss her man, more especially when he had gone away for more than two weeks.” I said this as we joined the path that led from river into the village. As I was gracefully walking I felt a pain on my back when I looked back I saw a tree branch swing vigorously and I realize what hit but as I turn I lost a balance because the path was slippery as a result of the rain that had been pouring down endlessly. Luckily enough no damage was down to my beautiful calabash for when it fell down the ground grass welcomed it with such care. I was forced to go back to the river to fetch water again but during this whole incidence I thought I saw a wicked smile on Dinny or maybe because of the pain I was feeling I was starting to hallucinate.
 
I have been best of friends with Dineo, Dinny as I fondly call her, ever since our childhood, she was the confident one and I was the pretty one. We had always hated our labels, I wish I was as confident as her and she wished to have my beauty but that was beyond our altering. I trust Dinny with my life and she too trusts me, well, I believe she does. And Modise, the love of my life, I came across him when he accompanied Dineo’s lover one summer evening at our village river bank where Dinny was to meet with her boyfriend, Tshephiso. We sat together as we waited the two lovers to finish up their cozy chat and touches. And that’s where my love relationship with Modise started. It was two years ago and since then Dinny and her boyfriend has broken up and she been nagging me that I should give up on Modise since he is her ex’s best friend which means it is going to be easy for him to break my heart but I told her not my Modise. After that conversation, Dinny started to give Modise cold gestures, it hurt me inside since she was like a sister to me and I knew that Modise was the man for me.
               To be cont'd next week...   Come next week for more...
 
Tswana Word of the Day:                             English Translation:
 
Dumela                                                         Hello
 
Tip:
 
When addressing an adult, you usually say 'Dumela Mma' for women or 'Dumela Rra' when addressing men.                 

2 comments: